Thursday, August 6, 2009

To Start

I started drawing in January 2009. It is an exercise in self teaching. At first I just thought I'd try to trace tanagram shapes or copy pictures, until I discovered Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain book at the library in March. I worked my way through all of the basic exercises in the book and by May I was hooked on drawing. In the meantime, I've been keeping a sketch book, drawing pictures of everyday items around the house, and experimenting with charcoal. I try to make time everyday to draw, even if its just for ten minutes. The drawing above is a quick drawing of part of my lunch. Today it could be my water glass. I will draw just about anything if it will help me to develop my artist's eye for seeing more clearly.
I'm creating this blog to share my art journey from simple line drawings with pencil to my experiments with charcoal and shading. I'm also interested in learning more about graphic art. It is a process. My hope is that my efforts will encourage other beginners to keep drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment