Thursday, August 13, 2009

Charcoal

While walking in the morning on a nearby trail, I collected several bean pods that had fallen from nearby Palo Verde and Mesquite trees. By afternoon the temperatures outside were too high for another short walk, so what better way to remember the outdoors than by drawing a souvenir.

In this drawing, I first toned the newsprint with black charcoal. Then I erased out the pods. Finally, I lightened the highlights and darkened the shadows. I'm continuing to work on my shading and proportions. All I need now is a little courage to publish this drawing attempt.

1 comment:

  1. Hi G-Lori!
    Your mesquite pods look really good. Thanks for the comment on my post. The title of your blog seems so appropriate! It takes courage to face the dreaded white page and then it takes courage to keep going despite our shortcomings. Welcome to the drawing blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete